If you meet the requirements below, use this step-by-step guide to obtain a Kansas Real Estate Broker license.
Pursuant to K.S.A. 58-3043, the Commission may restrict or deny an applicant’s license.
Applications pursuant to K.S.A. 48-3406. Substitute (Sub.) for HB 2066 was enacted by the 2021 Legislature amending K.S.A. 48-3406. Applicants who may qualify include military service members, military spouses, applicants who reside in Kansas, or applicants who intend to reside in Kansas. Applicants must hold a current valid license in another jurisdiction for at least two years immediately preceding application and not have past or pending disqualifying criminal records or disciplinary actions. Please contact KREC to request an application form. More information related to 2021 Sub for HB 2066 can be found here.
The Commission will not process an incomplete application. The $175.00 license fee will be refunded if the application is incomplete or denied by the Commission.
1. Be at least 18 years of age.
2. Have a high school diploma or the equivalent.
3. Meet an experience requirement. (See Below)
4. Show successful proof of completion of sixty (60) hours of broker pre-license education courses approved by KREC.
5. Comply with all application procedures required by KREC.
6. Pass the real estate broker license exam before the course certificate expires.
- Licensed three or more years with 30 or more transaction points.
- Licensed two or more years with 40 or more transaction points.
- Licensed two or more years with 20 to 39 transaction points. A restricted license will be granted. A restricted license would prohibit the supervising of any Kansas licensees. To request the restriction be lifted, a written petition must be submitted with new experience and/or education for consideration.
- 3 points per closed commercial or agricultural land real estate transaction over $1,000,000
- 1 point per closed transaction for all other real estate transaction types
- 0 points for transactions as a residential property manager
- 0 points for transactions as part of a team or group if the licensee’s name is not on the purchase contract
- Maximum of 5 points for transactions with personal interest
Submit the following with the license application, if applicable: